Elan Jack Golan, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in sports medicine who specializes in sports-related injuries and musculoskeletal conditions of the upper and lower extremities. A Georgia native, Dr. Golan was an honors graduate
at the University of Georgia before earning his medical doctorate from George Washington University and completing his residency at Maimonides Medical Center in New York City. He completed his fellowship at the prestigious University of Pittsburgh
program, where he served as administrative fellow while being mentored by world renowned ACL surgeon, Dr. Freddie Fu.
As a part of his training, Dr. Golan served as an assistant physician for both the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Pittsburgh Penguins. He has also served as a team doctor for Duquesne University Football, The University of Pittsburgh’s soccer and gymnastics
teams, and University of Pittsburgh baseball. He has also covered NCAA Basketball and Wrestling tournaments, bringing extensive sideline experience to the NHOI team.
Dr. Golan has co-authored numerous research studies regarding the diagnosis, treatment and outcome of sports-related injuries. He serves as an reviewer for several peer-reviewed sports medicine publications, including the American Journal of Sports Medicine.
He has also contributed to multiple textbooks in the field of orthopedic sports medicine, with his recent chapters on ACL reconstruction and shoulder instability published in some of the leading orthopedic textbooks. His philosophy of care is to ensure
that his patients fully understand their injuries so he can work with them to formulate the best possible, individualized treatment plan.
Dr. Golan’s areas of clinical interest include injuries to the shoulder labrum and rotator cuff. Dr Golan also performs ‘Tommy John’ ligament reconstruction of the elbow, and specializes in evaluating the mechanics of overhead and throwing
athletes. He has served as an instructor of advanced knee reconstruction techniques, including multi-ligament knee injuries and primary and revision ACL surgery. He also offers advanced ACL reconstruction techniques, including the use of a mini-invasive
reconstruction, and a quadriceps-based ACL graft technique. Following his fellowship, Dr. Golan was invited to attend specialty training at the London Fortius Clinic, a FIFA center of excellence, where he trained in hip preservation, including hip
arthroscopy, and the treatment of hip impingement and labral tears.
Dr Golan has a specific interest and specialty training in the preservation, repair, and reconstruction of cartilage-based injuries. He is among the only Metro Atlanta providers currently offering MACI based cartilage treatment, the only FDA-approved
procedure for cartilage reconstruction in the lower extremity.
Dr. Golan grew up playing sports in the metro Atlanta area and is excited to return home to serve his community. In his free time, he enjoys traveling with his wife and maintaining an active lifestyle through running, cycling and skiing.
- Arthroscopic treatment of the shoulder and knee
- Primary and revision ACL reconstruction
- Shoulder impingement, rotator cuff disease and replacement
- Hip preservation and hip arthroscopy
- Cartilage restoration and biologic therapies (PRP)
- Hamstring and groin injuries
- Athletic shoulder injuries
- Matrix-induced Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (MACI)
Dr. Elan Jack Golan’s Education and Certifications
Education and Clinical Specialization:
- Doctor of Medicine, George Washington School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Washington, DC
- Residency, Orthopedic Surgery, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
- Fellowship, Sports Medicine, UPMC/University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Certifications and Affiliations:
- Board Certifications: Board Eligible
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, Arthroscopy Association of North America
Honors and Awards
- Dean’s List & Presidential Scholar, Honors Graduate – University of Georgia
- Honors Graduate – George Washington School of Medicine
- Research Fellow in Orthopedics/Chief Resident – Maimonides Medical Center
- Administrative Fellow – University of Pittsburgh Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Golan EJ, Meredith SJ, Nakamura T, Rothrauff BB, Fu FH. Anatomic reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament: concept, indication, and its efficacy. Ann Joint 2019;4:9.
- Golan EJ, Tisherman R, Byrne K, Diermeier T, Vaswani R, Musahl . Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury and the Anterolateral Complex of the Knee – Importance in Rotatory Knee Instability? Curr Musculoskel Review
- Golan EJ, Shukla DR, Nasser P, Hausman MR. Isolated Ligamentous Injury Can Cause Posteromedial Elbow Instability: A Cadaveric Study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg
- Golan E, Thomson J. When in doubt, examine the patient. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2016 May 04; 98 (9): e38.
- Golan EJ, Schilders E, Yohe N, Martins A, Bharam S. Avulsion of the Proximal Adductor Longus Origin: A Biomechanical Analysis of Suture Anchor Reattachment.
- Golan EJ, Bradley JP – Posterior Shoulder Instability: Operative Technique and Outcomes in Rockwood and Matsen’s The Shoulder, 6th Edition. Elsevier Publications.
- Meredith S, Golan EJ, Rothrauff BB, Fu FH. Individual Anatomic ACL Reconstruction in Operative Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery, 3rd Edition
- Golan EJ, Bradley JP – Proximal Hamstring Syndrome and Tears: Operative Techniques in Orthopedics
Selected Invited Lectures
- Lesniak BP, Golan EJ. What to do with the ACL: Revising previously performed Femoral and Tibial Tunnels. Instructional Course Lecture. AOSSM Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV. 2019
- Golan EJ, Bradley JP. Physical examination for SLAP lesion. Invited Presentation. SKS Annual Winter Meeting. Snowbird, UT
- Golan EJ, Bradley JP. ACL Graft Choices in 2019. Invited Presentation. SKS Annual Winter Meeting. Snowbird, UT
- Mauro C, Golan EJ. Approach to Symphysis Instability in the Athlete. 2019 AOSSM Football Sports Medicine Symposium. Nashville, TN
- Lin A, Golan EJ. Overview of Articular Cartilage Injuries of the Knee. Invited Presentation. Lebanese Orthopedic Society. Beirut, Lebanon
- Bharam S, Golan EJ. Management of Sports Hernia Injuries in the Setting of FAI. Hip Preservation Society Annual Meeting , Vail, CO
Northside Provider Directory Details
View Dr. Elan Jack Golan's profile in the Northside Hospital Physician Directory